What comes to your mind when you hear about hair transplant surgery? Some people think that you wake up with all shiny black hair on your head the next day after undergoing the surgery, isn’t it? But that’s not how it works. Like a plant take time to grow, hair after transplant surgery also take time to grow as our natural hair.
With so many new techniques, Hair Transplantation can be just in a day. But, for most of our patients, it’s not the treatment itself that’s the hard part, it’s waiting for the results afterward.
Let’s take a look at how the hair grows hair after hair transplant surgery.
- DAY 1 – Day of hair transplant surgery.
- DAY 2-5 –So, the first 2 weeks after a hair transplant are the most critical and frustrating. Our surgeon will provide you detailed instructions on exactly how to care for the newly transplanted grafts. In the first 5 days, the patients will experience swelling of the back-head and forehead, which is the donor area. You might observe some redness of the skin at the areas where all the small incisions were made for the new transplanted hairs. This redness gets fine after the first week or second. The donor area might bleed for about two weeks, though it should only be minor. Our surgeon will tell you how they prefer you to handle the bleeding. If your bleeding continues after pressure has been applied, or if the amount seems to be too much, consult with your hair doctor. After only a few days, the donor area is no longer gentle and you start to feel better.
- DAY 6-10 – During this time, patients no longer experience any swelling and the redness should only be faint or completely gone. Once the bleeding has stopped and the swelling has reduced, you’ll experience crusting of the individual implant grafts. Then you can gently remove the crusts by thoroughly soaking the grafts, and then gently rubbing them with a finger or do that with a gentle massage using a damp cloth, though your surgeon will provide you with detailed instructions. Lastly, around10th day, the or staples will be removed.
- 2-3 WEEKS – The transplanted hair will start to shed, and by the end of the 3rd/4th week, they’ll probably be gone. This is a normal process of the healing process and is generally expected. The newly transplanted hair goes through a phase of shedding process as the actual hair shaft is developed, but the actual follicular unit and bulb intact starting to grow a new hair shaft. This is the normal process post hair transplant surgery.
- 1-4 MONTHS – So, this is a temporary phase and one that’s necessary for the growth of healthy hair. At this stage, patients will look exactly the same as they did before the surgery with regards to the amount of hair present. At this time, patients are able to style according to their own choice and color their hair as they want. Then, the new hair starts coming out. For some, the transplanted hair starts growing early in the timeline; for others, they start growing a little late. Patients will feel and see the new transplants, but they will be thin at this stage as they begin to grow from the scalp.
- 5 MONTHS -1 YEAR – Things tend to fall in place by this time. Patients have achieved about 80% of the growth of the transplanted hairs. Patients will start to see satisfying results and most of the hair growing from the scalp. The haircare thinner; many of the transplanted hair will be over 3 inches or longer and is able to be groomed. By the end of this period, the hair will show changes in the texture and start getting thicker. The donor area will be completely healed at this point. Patients may notice that the hair a little curly. This is from the micro-scarring that is at the recipient sites which resolves and the hair takes on its native look over the next year.
- 1-2 YEARS – As your transplanted hair should be fully into the natural hair growth cycle by now, you should expect a period of overall growth for up to 3 years. The final look from the hair transplant is appreciated at this point. Most of the patients achieve the full appearance by 1 year while rest may take longer for the hair to grow and increase their density and thickness. As well, as the hair grows longer, that provides a fuller appearance since the volume of hair increases in the transplant area.
For more information about hair transplant surgery, you can read other blogs on our site or feel free to contact the best hair transplant clinic in Jaipur and be ready to go ahead with your decision.