You must be thinking right now what it is and how it happens to the skin. Skin pigmentation is a disorder to your skin which either makes your skin look lighter (hypopigmentation) or darker (hyperpigmentation) changing the color of your original skin. It differs from person to person and skin to skin and it is even discolored at times. The discoloration in our skin comes in different forms. It can be the birthmark or sometimes the marks we get later on in our life.
In our skin, we have a component which is called ‘Melanin’ whose presence decides and regulates the color of our skin, eye, and hair. When melanin is produced it spreads up into all the layers and cells of our skin giving it a particular color which makes our skin look of the same color. If we get pigmentation in our skin that means the presence of melanin is either less or more than normal in our skin.
If you’ve white skin, then it is considered to be more prone to sun-induced skin cancer. Research says that white skin has 70% more likely to have skin cancer than dark skin. Melanin in the skin works as an absorbent filter of Ultra Violet-Rays that stops the sunlight to penetrate further into the skin. The Eumelanin has the shielding effect to scatter the UV-Rays and act as a physical barrier in the epidermis layer of skin and prevent it from affects your skin too much extent.
Pigmentation is of two types:
- HYPERPIGMENTATION – Hyperpigmentation is caused to your skin because of the excessive presence of melanin in your skin which makes your skin look darker. Melasma, Freckles, Photo Melanosis, Tanning, Photo Melanos are types of hyperpigmentation.
- HYPO-PIGMENTATION – Hypo-pigmentation is caused when the presence of melanin is lesser than required in your skin which makes your skin look lighter in the affected area. You may get diseases like Vitiligo, Albinism, etc. because of hypo-pigmentation.
1. Overexposure to heat/sun
5. Excess exposure to light
6. Excessive use of chemicals
7. Side effects of medicines
Treatments of skin pigmentation
You can get rid of skin pigmentation by using these things on your skin. You can either apply them on your skin or include them in your diet or maybe both as per your convenience.
2. Red onion
3. Aloe vera
4. Apple cider vinegar
5. Orange peel
8. Lemon juice
14. Tomato, sandalwood and yogurt mask
- LASER PIGMENTATION REMOVAL
Another method of removing skin pigmentation is the laser method. If you want to go for laser skin pigmentation removal you can go to the clinic and consult a doctor and he will explain your further after testing your skin.
When laser treatment is used to removes skin pigmentation, Alexandrite 755nm produces a wavelength of high energy light, which further gets converted into heat energy. Laser light targets on the affected area of skin pigmentation. Only the cells with excess pigmentation in your skin absorb the light further causing efficient destruction to pigmentation. This causes efficient destruction without damaging the skin.